On 10/12/07, Jon Westcot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Nathan:
>
>     The page you referenced in the PHP documentation is exactly what I saw
> that indicated that the dBase functions needed to be compiled in with the
> --enable-dbase directive.  What I need to know is HOW to do this, even in
> general terms.

basically you run about 3 commands.
configure
make
make install
and configure is the command you would pass --enable-dbase to.
windows systems typically have binary installs available; but i really have
never setup php on a windows box.

anyway, the reason i asked about the distribution to begin with is many
distributions handle php configuration / installation so its quite simple.
on gentoo you just add or remove a use flag and emerge it again if you want
to make a change.  on debian there are modules so i believe you can just
apt-get a new module if it isnt already installed.
seems nice, but ill tell you, on gentoo you spend time compiling; on debian
you spend time saying where is that package i want and how do i trick
apt-get to install it correctly.  but i digress... :)

GoDaddy is being very little help (no big surprise there).  Their last
> message indicated updating values in the php.ini file would let this work,
> but, as you pointed out, this isn't an option with the php.ini.  I looked
> in the phpinfo data and couldn't find anything that matched "dbase"
> anywhere; certainly, no section in the output indicated any dBase settings
> whatsoever.

if you havent done so i would just use the search feature of your browser
and type in dbase on that page.  you should see something in the configure
directive; either --enable-dbase or --disable-dbase most likely.

    I'm fearing that I'm going to have to find some other way to handle the
> extraction of data from DBF files if I can't get this to work.

are you really committed to godaddy at this point ?

-nathan