On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 02:20 -0800, mike wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 12:02 AM, Ashley Sheridan
> <a...@ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Whoever said anything about open FTP?
>
> how else do you do it?
>
> either it's open/anonymous, or some hardcoded account info. either
> way, not very secure, and due to the nature of it, kinda requires the
> user to have enough privileges to upload N files of X bytes (you could
> put quotas on it, chroot it, blahblah... but still)

The way I've done it for a system at work (it is for staff and clients
only, so I guess that offers some protection) is to use scripts in
conjunction with vsftp. Accounts are managed through an admin web
interface, and each user has their own login credentials. Admittedly,
the username and password are passed as plain text for it to auto
log-in, but afaik, that happens with standard FTP anyway (unencrypted
connections). This is more than likely overkill for this situation, but
I had to resort to it as the system has to handle files over 2GB, and
file upload forms are just not meant to handle that kind of load in the
upstream!

Ash
www.ashleysheridan.co.uk