My personal take on this goes something like this:

I'm not a huge fan of re-inventing the wheel. However, it seems that since
the first stable release of PHP 5 into the wild a much needed emphasis has
been placed on OOP solutions within the PHP world. Don't read me wrong, I
know the importance wasn't lost on folks who already had a good programming
head on their shoulders, yet, in all fairness our hands were a bit tied (and
I feel that I may receive some argument here) until PHP 5 reached its first
stable release.

That being said, I find that quite a few of the frameworks still seem to be
fledglings and a lot of the new OS projects being built on them are like
wheels with some lumps. Even a few commercial projects seem to be like this.
I also have a positive outlook with PHP5 and 6 and that is that this
language is finally reaching maturity. It is something that I believe and
hope allow for continued growth of our new projects without feeling the need
to dump them like I saw with the PHP4 projects.

On a final rambling note, I like some of the new frameworks I've looked into
recently, like CodeIgniter, Yii even Sapphire holds some promise (have a
look at the cleaner version in progress). I find myself wanting to add to
them, wanting to help improve them and occasionally I too have a fleeting
moment where I think "How would my framework be different if I built one
from scratch?" Then I realize I don't have that kind of time! lol My clients
are waiting. Also, I don't seem to have much trouble switching between
frameworks or languages for that matter (PERL, PHP, ASP(bleh), JavaScript,
ActionScript) and I guess because of that I find myself just trying to find
the best solution for the clients need at hand and build from there.