Nathan Rixham wrote:

>>> eh? how do you get java from that?

>> user requests content
>> sub-client required and application location are sent to users client.
>> sub-client is launched within users client
>> sub-client loads required application
>> application connects to server application(s) and requests content.
>> application determines how content functions, updates and renders.

>> finally, if the sub-client was independent, ie not limited to use in
>> clients, could be used on desktops, phones, inside tv hardware etc as
>> well, then our content could be viewed and applications used virtually
>> anywhere.

>> Also, have you ever looked at: http://www.openlaszlo.org?  I built one
>> of their small tutorial apps several years ago but it looks much more
>> mature now.
>>

> looked at, never used to be honest, any good?

Haven't tried it in a while, but might be worth an evening of playing
with it now that it has matured.

> and now I see how you get java - flash is more lightweight though and v
> good with fp10 and as3, hell you can even use alchemy to add c code to
> your flash apps now, and it's much quicker than as3 code because its
> optimized during swf compilation. will make for some killer 3d apps.

I have only briefly played with Flash or Java and it's been a couple of
years. It just sounded like Java to me when you were explaining it.
It's hard for me to remember who the Java versus Flash proponents are,
so I expected a Java punchline instead of the Flash one :-)

--
Thanks!
-Shawn