On 04 June 2009 19:09, PJ advised:

> Nitsan Bin-Nun wrote:
>>> From my experience I tend to use a difference ID for the
> body tag, for
>> instance <body id='homepage'> and then format it in my CSS using ID
>> reference: #homepage .classname {
>>       color: blue;
>> }
>>
>> This way you can use a default format for all the pages and create
minor
>> (or major) changes in the theme in no time :)
>>
>> I would also suggest to attach the CSS filename reference at the
<head>
>> tag the update time of the file, so that the browser will
automatically
>> update the cache of the CSS whenever you decide to edit it.
>>
>> Just my 2 cents ;)
>>
> Oh, I think it's worth a lot more than that.
> I just installed IE 8 just to have it for verification. It's no better
> than IE 6. I never use them personally.
> But how do you produce interesting web pages to look well on both
> without making stupid compromises. What looks well on Firefox, looks
like
> MSshit on IE.

This may be a silly question, but reading this just makes me wonder --
you do have an appropriate <!DOCTYPE as the very first line of your HTML
to prevent IE going into Quirks Mode?

I don't usually have *that* much trouble getting IE to render very
similarly to Firefox (and IE8 is reportedly much better), but if IE is
in Quirks Mode it makes a huge difference and presents all sorts of
rendering problems. (The Firefox Web Developer plugin will tell you if a
page is rendering in Quirks Mode or Standards Compliance Mode.)

Cheers!

Mike

 --
Mike Ford,  Electronic Information Developer,
C507, Leeds Metropolitan University, Civic Quarter Campus,

To view the terms under which this email is distributed, please go to
http://disclaimer.leedsmet.ac.uk/email.htm