> I wonder if massive uploads, like the ones you're coding for, really
> aren't that common. I can imagine hard-coding that 3600 myself, and
> thinking, "no way someone's going to be uploading a single file for
> longer than an hour, or even close to it."

me too, also because for a silly connection problem you could even re-start the
upload from the scratch.
I do not think HTTP and a POST form "as is" is suitable for these kind of
tasks, I would rather think about a truly simple Desktop software, Python for
portability or  AutoIT if it is only for windows, able to split the file in
chunks 2 Mb each and open a conversation with the server in order to be able to
resume the upload if something goes wrong or if the user would like to.

With a desktop application you can send credentials and the SHA1 of the file in
order to create it's ghost image on the server. Every chunk will be saved a
part and when finished appended via file pointers to the main one. To allow a
resume you simply need to communicate the current big file size / 2 Mb and you
know which chunk needs to be uploaded.

It is more simple to do than to explain, if you got this basic example about
how to proceed, but you need privileges over the file in order to create a SHA1
and read only chunks via pointer, rather than send everything in a shot.

Regards