On 11/9/2009 11:42 PM, Ali Asghar Toraby Parizy wrote:
On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 7:58 PM, Martin Scotta<martinsco...@gmail.com>wrote:

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 1:04 PM, Arno Kuhl<ak...@telkomsa.net>  wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave M G [mailto:mar...@autotelic.com]
Sent: 09 November 2009 05:36 PM
To: php-general@lists.php.net
Subject: [PHP] Anyone using Aptana and Xdebug? Or other debugger
recommendations besides Zend?

PHP List,

I won't go into a big rant about Zend, and instead simply say that while
was using Zend Studio to debug PHP pages since version 5.0. I was never
really all that happy with it. It seemed to be the most complete
debugging
environment for PHP, so I put up with it. I will say that the Studio
installation procedure has got better, but setting up a reliable
debugging
server has not.

Now, the current version of Zend Studio (7.0) is based on Eclipse (I
think
since v6.0), and so I'm just not sure what I'm paying for anymore.
Aptana Studio, also based on Eclipse has pretty much the exact same
interface and can even connect to a Zend server.

Since one of those is free, I can't see why I wouldn't switch. The issue
for
me is that paying for Zend hasn't really saved me much hassle, so even if
Aptana has difficulties, at least they are free difficulties.

The main failing point, so far as I can see, of Aptana/Xdebug, is a lack
of
good, clear, documentation (also note that Zend doesn't have great
documentation either). Especially on how to set it up.

I was wondering if anyone has used it and could provide a link or
instructions on how to get the debugging environment up and running.

Or, equally as valuable, would be recommendations on other debugging
environments. The key is finding one that has a clear set of instructions
for how to set it up (On Ubuntu/Debian Linux with a local LAMP server.)

Thanks for any advice.

Dave M G
--

Dave, take a look at PhpED from Nusphere. I've used the Windows version
very

Cheers
Arno

Why anyone needs to buy a IDE for develop PHP code?

You can use any text editor.

I use SciTE. It is free and open source.
It does not provide any tool of any kind. It just allow me to write code,
and that's all I need.

Also there are a lot of tools for development.
And IDE is just a fat text editor with lot of tools on it, and in some
cases
it can make your development slower.

You can improve your development with a set of lightweight tools, this is
the linux style.

--
Martin Scotta

What do you think IDE is?
Do you think you can build a real commercial application without debugging
and project management tools?

Okay, before the answers deviate from the topic, a few quick personal pointers.
--> Zend IDE's good, but as you mention not _worth_ the price.
--> I use a number of editors based on which system I am using at the time, and they range from vim to NetBeans to EclipsePDT (and sometimes an unregistered demo version of Zend 7). --> I prefer NetBeans-PHP and have it configured with XDebug. The configuration's fairly simple and documentation can help you do in several steps. Please search on NetBeans portal for the same.
IMHO, the same steps can be replicated for even an Eclipse based IDE.

--Bipin Upadhyay.
http://projectbee.org/