On Sun, 2010-09-12 at 14:07 -0400, tedd wrote:

> At 1:47 PM -0400 9/12/10, Jason Pruim wrote:
> >>On Sep 12, 2010, at 1:33 PM, tedd wrote:
> >>So, can I do what I do (i.e., programming) without having a host?
> >>Can I install a local server at my clients location and interface
> >>all their computers to use the server without them ever being
> >>connected to the Internet?
> >
> >I may not know all the possibilities but the only way I can think of
> >to accomplish that  would be to have a server setup in their office
> >with a bank of modems and have everyone call into the server.
> >Basically like an old school internet provider.
> >
> >If the main server can be secured to your clients liking there are
> >ways that it can be on the net and still as safe as possible... But
> >obviously not as safe as hard lines being dialed in...
> >
> >You'ld also have to take into account possibly long distance charges
> >if everyone wasn't local...
>
> Forget modems or other such outside access -- everything would be
> done internally with computers and users being physically located
> within the office's physical location.
>
> So, could a server be set up in an office that would run
> web-languages such that users in the office could access their server
> and run scripts using browsers?
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd
>

> --
> -------
> http://sperling.com/

Set it up like a regular server but without a connection to the outside
world and then the computers can connect to it as you need. For ease of
use you could pick some subdomain name of the existing domain for the
company (intranet.business.com for example) and then change the hosts
file on the client computers to recognise this and point to the internal
server.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk