You wrote:
> What do you think a medium sized hosting company could do to give you
(the
> developer) better service and support?

Be willing to help their users in any way they can, as far as service
goes.

> Is access to professional PHP developers useful when an issue arises?

Depends on the issue.

> Are hosting companies reluctant to give you more access rights?

Usually, and that really sucks, because I've found myself having to set
up my own "pseudo-server" on my computer, with PHP4, Apache, and MySQL,
just to develop, because the hosts I've found are very reluctant to
either upgrade from PHP, or build PHP with the necessary extensions I
need.  IMO, PHP4 on web hosts should always be compiles with *all*
options, so there will be no issue there.  And it should always be
upgraded to the newest stable version within a week of its release.
This may be asking a lot, but people should get what they pay for,
right?

> Are they willing to re-compile their PHP build to add other options?

No.  See above.

> How long do requested changes to the server take?

Way too long.  The changes requested should take place (ideally) in less
than 24 hours.

> What other suggestions do you have for improving the relationship
between
> the server administrator and the PHP developer?

Be nice, and be available to help.

> I spent some time going through the PHP site looking at the list of
hosts
> supporting PHP, but I didn't find any real discussion about what
people want
> in a host (although I did find plenty of things they don't want :).

Because things they don't want are obviously more abundant.  ;)  I think
people just want to be happy with the service their host provides, and
that means the host needs to be prompt and attentive and ready to
assist.

--
 -Ryan :: ICQ - 595003 :: GigaBoard - http://www.gigaboard.net/