Where I went to school (UMass Amherst), they primarily use Java and
C/C++.  The reason has been cited that the skills learned in programming
with these languages are scalable to many other languages, including
PHP, and thus form a solid foundation from which other programming
skills can evolve.  It's a pretty academic department, which is a good
thing from the computer "scientist" point of view -- to teach the theory
rather than the process (so that you can take that theory with you as
computer science evolves).

I sure wish that I had studied CS when I was in school!  Hindsight is
20/20, they say.  I'm just starting out with programming, and I think
PHP is a great introduction.

Erik