Hmm, well I'm 20 years removed from college at this point, but I can
relate somewhat to the issue ... the tail end of my college life was
when the IBM PC was introduced and I can assure you there were no
classes in 'small systems' of any kind despite the fact that many could
see the future ---

Certainly some things have changed, but I think the college v. scripting
languages issue is this:

College still views CompSci as a science/engineering discipline and I
think they still use the classics -- Aho's Dragon Book, Knuth's
Algorithm stuff etc.   -- all this more prepares you for life as a
kernel hacker than a web scripter ... and I believe that appropriate; I
think no one would disagree that if your a competent C hacker you can
probably pick up PHP in a couple hours and go "hey this is cool!" -- If
anything you could argue the converse side that languages like PHP ...
and ASP and Python ... pick your poision; have resulted in a lot of
people being drawn to programming in a casual way which is great for web
pages and the like, but there are also a lot of people calling
themselves programmers that really couldn't code their way out a paper
bag at a lower level, nor understand anything below the highlevel
scripting API.

I think you could have an interesting side debate here about the shift
toward teached in OOP as a paradigm.

I think you look those two points and I can understand why you see Java
in a lot of cirriculums ... it's OO, it's easier than C, yet you can
code most anything you want without obsfuncticating the low level stuff
with a over-simple API.  I really don't like Java myself, but I can see
why it's popular as a teaching language.

Just my $0.02

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 06:57:07PM -0500, Francesco Gallarotti wrote:
> I am a student in a college in NY state. Here we have several servers and
> dozens of courses on computer science. No server is PHP ready and no course
> instructor knows anything about PHP. Why do you think this is happening? I
> really like PHP and I am using it in my personal website to work with some
> text files and a small database. Why PHP is so not popular in the computer
> science teaching area?
>
> F.G.

Hank Marquardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://web.yerpso.net
GPG Id: 2BB5E60C
Fingerprint: D807 61BC FD18 370A AC1D  3EDF 2BF9 8A2D 2BB5 E60C
*** Web Development: PHP, MySQL/PgSQL - Network Admin: Debian/FreeBSD
*** PHP Instructor - Intnl. Webmasters Assn./HTML Writers Guild
*** Beginning PHP -- Starts January 7, 2002
*** See http://www.hwg.org/services/classes