This has been an interesting thread, so I'll toss in my unique point of view...

I have never held a full time job for anyone but myself.  I find good
opportunity and take advantage of it.  I make decent money also.

I have not marketed myself as a PHP developer, but rather as a problem
finder and solver.

Many times, clients do not know what they need - you need to find the
appropriate solution to their problem, even though they do not know what
their problem is!

If you become well at doing this, you *will* be able to find
business.  Maybe it takes a passion for the field.  But you do need to be
able to recognize the issues and apply your vast knowledge (from many
different areas) to it, and come up with a solution that your clients did
not even know was possible.

Now, this will not happen all the time, but when it does, you will be
getting more business from them, and other businesses that they talk to.

For those of you that have a mind for business, there are hundreds of
unique opportunities that you can use to generate money.

The site I am currently working on is owned by three people (including
me).  The each of us bring a very different skill to the table.  I bring
technical skills and problem solving, partner 1 brings Sales and marketing,
partner 2 brings financial backing and a mind for business.  The result is
a site that is expected to top $1,000,000/year by 2003.

When I first encountered the above venture (it is only 1 year old), I did
not know PHP (I have had other experience - not web based though).  I said
"I'll have your site working in 7 weeks".  What a seven weeks!  But I spent
some crazy hours working on it, learned PHP, MySQL, CSS, HTML, etc..., and
delivered the site (3 days late).

Look for niche groups of people that you can market a particular, useful
service to.  Keep your eyes peeled - you will turn things up.

In the mean time, learn.  Become not only good, but excellent.  When you
have mastered PHP, master MySQL.  When you have that down, learn how TCP/IP
works, learn C, learn Perl, learn how to write Windows Apps that interface
with the data on your Web server.  Read, Read, Read.  Feed your brain, be
observant, and you will find ways to market yourself.

More and more in the job market today, I see people that are good in 1
area.  But one area is not good enough for most business issues.

My hobby (that's what I call it) is finishing my Electro-Mechanical
Engineering Technology Degree.  They have the right idea - output students
that can help a business with electronice, robotics, computers, plc's,
mechanics, machining, etc...  The student may not be fluent in all, but
they know enough about different areas, that they can come up with ideas
for solutions, and then figure out the details are.

Keep in mind, a Job is not the only way to go.  Learn, learn, learn more.

Just my (limited) experience.

Jason Garber
IonZoft.com