Hello,

Vincent Stoessel wrote:

> On another list that I am on someone made this very bold
> statement:
>
> "I've seen a lot of jobs for ColdFusion & Oracle or MS SQL server
> experience combinations.  Don't let anyone fool you, PHP/MySQL is not
> going to land you a job  [;)] "
>
> now, as someone that was making avery good living doing Linux based
> web application development last year and now among the jobless I am beginning
> to question the validity of having all of my eggs in the LAMP  (linux apache mysql
>php)
> basket.  I just recently built a NT4 to do some win based development on. I still
>have
> not installed any development enviroment cause it just feels so alien. Has anyone
>else
> out there feeling the pressure of going to the win32 side  to pay the bills.
> Thoughts?

Since the massive bankrupcy of many Internet companies, LAMP is no
longer so much on demand. What happened is that most of those companies
were technologically aware of the choices and were choosing LAMP
products because they have proven suitability for Internet development
and besides that they are inexpensive.

Many of the technology dependent companies that survived do not depend
on the Internet. Often Web development is for internal consumption. Many
of those companies used Microsoft products. People in charge of those
companies often only know about Microsoft's and other comercial products
that are well marketed. So, it is very hard to penetrate in those
companies with LAMP products.

There are certainly a reasonable number of companies that use LAMP
products, but they do it mostly for economical reasons. Therefore they
don't have a great budget to pay good salaries either.

For bigger companies, one of the main limitations of PHP and other Open
Source products is that, unlike commercial competitor products, they do
not add as much business value to somebody selling PHP solutions because
PHP costs nothing so there is no profit margin to earn by the people
that want to sell it even as a part of something else.

PHP needs to be better marketed or else it will fade from the well paid
job world. As I said, Java jobs are much more well paid, not only
because Java is harder to program and requires better prepared
developers, but also because Sun marketed Java so well that it was
created a demand for Java projects that nobody from the PHP world is
doing anything like that.

Despite PHP can be used for more than just Web applications, many PHP
developers are not making an effort to advertise it for more than just
Web development. This needs to be changed, because the world has changed
and those that don't adapt will not survive.

Java was also advertised initially for browser applets but Sun had to
adapt the strategy to the needs of the real world, they advertised and
made it suitable for mobile computing, server side Web scripting and Web
services. Mobile computing is a closed market. Server side scripting is
the only thing that PHP is advertised for but its position is seriously
threatned. Web services, PHP is not yet quite there nor there is a
perspective if and when it will ever be.

I don't want to be pessimistic, but in a couple of weeks .NET will be
officially released as the big thing that Microsoft will make it echo
everywhere with their raw marketing power. ASP.NET is catching up on the
huge delay that it used to had compared to PHP and other alternatives.
Web Services will be even more hyped than today.

Microsoft will try to make it evident that .NET is the most profitable
way to make money from Web development but only using .NET. It does not
matter how much of that will be effectively true. What matters is many
people that today still fall for LAMP/WAMP will reconsider and move to
.NET world because they will be convinced that is where they can make
money unlike with LAMP.

So, what do you do? For now, I just advise you to stay where you are if
you can live from what you are doing because we have to see how much of
this will become true. Anyway, I am afraid that part of it will become
true as advertised. If you want to stick with LAMP/WAMP, you'd better
check it out to see if you can developed what will be in demand. Here
some buzzwords to pay more attention: Web services, SOAP, WSDL, UDDI.

Regards,
Manuel Lemos