On 10 Feb 2002, at 21:17, Viper wrote:

> I may have worded this wrong. The site will focus on PHP and the use
> of Databases with PHP, (Oracle, Postgres, MySQL, others...). I was
> typing fast and just threw MySQL out :) I do quite a bit of
> development in PHP and MySQL so I am most familiar with it. I am also
> very familiar with Oracle. I have yet to find a PHP help site that
> focuses on Databases and Code Repositorys Related specificaly to PHP
> and it's use with them. The main thing I want the site to be is a
> Community where people can come to get help and read articles about
> the Use Of PHP in the real world. That sound more interesting? :)

Yes and No :)

If you search say google for php/oracle/mysql/rdbms you'll have no end of
sites to visit. Everywhere I go I see small snippets of how to do this or that.

I'm thinking more on along these lines:

> Smart Architectures in PHP
> Tim Perdue

http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20001010.php3

although I think a site could go beyond that and just be smart architectures
and then show/discuss etc. in Perl/PHP ...

But heck, I think there is always room for more good sites.

If you did more databases then it might be interesting to show the
differences between them. Mysql is evolving fast and it's been the one I
used most but I've also used postgresq and oracle. I've not used triggers or
stored procedures AT ALL but I'm familiar with them and as a data model
grows in complexity it really seems easier to me to use such tools rather
than doing all the work in my programming language. I don't see this stuff
discussed much. I'd like to see these kinds of things. How you do X in
Oracle but is done like Y in MySQL, etc.

I'm a little "scared" of your reference to "code repositories". I like CPAN for
Perl and I guess Pear for PHP but I haven't gotten into it much as I'm still
learning PHP.  imho the OO approach with classes as black boxes is
much better than the "scripting" nature of Perl/PHP. "code repositories"
bring to mind cut and paste and I try and avoid that at all costs.

Just my thoughts. I'd certainly like to know when your site goes live. I'm too
busy to help with anything myself. Unemployed and spending all my time
trying to find work :) except I can't break my email habits :)

Peter