When I run:

$number = 0.023884057998657;
echo round($number, 3);
echo number_format($number, 3);

Both function output "0.024", both functions round the last digit.  This is
contrary to the example in the manual which shows this:

$number = 1234.5678;

// english notation without thousands seperator
$english_format_number = number_format($number, 2, '.', '');
// 1234.56

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.number-format.php

My output for the above is:
1234.57 not 1234.56

I'm using PHP Version 4.0.6

I would consider using the following to truncate a number if you do not want
to round.  There may be a better way, but this seems to work fine.

substr($number, 0,strpos($number, ".")+4);

Robert V. Zwink
http://www.zwink.net