From: Miguel Cruz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: May 13, 2002 3:29 PM
To: Udo Giacomozzi
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP] Genus who came up with "Self
Destruct Code" & "Copy
Pro tection"

On 13 May 2002, Udo Giacomozzi wrote:
> If the whole thing is designed the right way.
> A copy protection I like for example are
dongles. Ok, they are not
> applicable to PHP and aren't 100% secure either
[don't want to start a
> discussion about this now]. But this system
makes no problems for the
> people that have the dongle.
>
> That was why first came up with this question.
As a PHP beginner I wanted
> to know if there are elegant ways to make a
acceptable copy protection.

> There seem to be only 3 possibilities:
> - zend encoder
> - a code obfuscator like POBS
> - encrypting the source code and then decrypting
it in realtime

All of these have weaknesses. And therefore the
whole exercise is moot. It
only takes one person with some free time to break
your protection
scheme, and then the cat's out of the bag. Once it
has been broken, it
will spread and then it won't matter how complex
your scheme was.

I really doubt there is any software out there
that isn't being traded by
high-school kids, even if they have no idea what
it's for. The only
exceptions would be something so arcane and
obscure that nobody ever had
an interest in cracking it.

miguel