> Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but I want to do one
 > simple thing - create an empty MySQL-type database to upload
 > to the server so I can start using PHP to access it... how
 > can I do this? I don't really want to have to download the
 > whole MySQL product just to create an empty database!

Ummm, not sure exactly what you're asking but you can use mysql_query to
issue the relevant sql commands to create your database and tables and
so on.  In cases where I want to package something that kicks off I
usually create an install script that looks for the database I need and
if it doesn't exist then create it.

Obviously if you actually want to test code on your development box then
you're going to need an actual sql server to do it.

CYA, Dave