On 31 Jul 2002 at 11:38, Martin Towell wrote:

> The best way to become proficient in programming (or anything, come to
> that) is with _lots_ of practice.

...snip

> Personally, I don't bog myself down in code from the start. I think in
> sorta pseudo-code, then once I have a solution, I then implement in
> language-specific code.

I whole-heartedly agree with the above.

It's all to easy to just start spinning out code and weaving things together and
before you know it you've got something. But then come the
inevitable changes, how will your code handle it?

I would suggest reading some Steve McConnell.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556154844/ref=ase_stevemcconnelconA/103-2560652-4298245

That's the author's affiliate id, doesn't hurt to help them make more money. It links
to "Code Complete". As one reviewer says:

> Code Complete showed me that it's a lot more than that, beginning by
> designing your program, not just starting to write code right away, up
> to topics like naming conventions for variables, how to determine what
> code to put into a routine or how to make your program easier to debug.

I cannot emphsize enough to follow some sort of standard. At least to read through the
standard once.

http://pear.php.net/manual/en/standards.php

Pragmatic Programmer is also quite good:

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/020161622X/ref=cm_custrec_gl_acc/103-2560652-4298245

Anyone with 3/4 a brain can throw together some code to do something. You've got
thousands of examples and you might stumble across
some of mine. It is another thing entirely to write code that will form a basis for
evolution. The web is all about evolution. We always have to get
the latest project done yesterday and then before we've even tested it we've got
changes coming in ... thinking about what you are going to do
and how you are going to grow it and test it are very important.

Peter