$_SERVER['HTTP_REFERRER'] (or is it $_ENV['HTTP_REFERRER']?) is your only
option.  Unfortunately it's not guaranteed to be set by the browser, so your
current method of accepting and tracking referrers is flawed, sorry.

A page.php?aid=xxxxx entry point, combined with sessions or cookies to keep
track of the affiliate ID is a proven method of making things work.

Justin French