Justin is right, there's no guarantee the referrer will be set. What you
can do however is have a common pre-registration page you link to from
everywhere on the site - and set some variable there to acknowledge they
came from the site - and give "members" the direct address to the
registration page.

What I wonder is how could a non-referred user be confused with a
referred one - doesn't the referred one have some kind of variable in
the URL which identifies the referer (i.e. isn't each referer being
given a customized URL to pass to his/her referees?!).

Bogdan