On 14 Nov, 12:48, Paul Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 04:44 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I'll log it in Tuscany and make a change. I can make the change
> > locally on PECL in the first instance. If people have doubts about
> > this then let me know.
>
> I have some serious doubts about that... Modifying to cater for
> hyphenated names is asking for trouble - kind of like modifying SQL
> standards to let people create reserved word field names...
>
> --Paul
>
> All Email originating from UWC is covered by
> disclaimerhttp://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/public/portal_services/disclaimer.htm

Hi Paul

My reference [1] should have been (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#NT-
NameChar).

>From this it looks to me like "-" can validly appear in the XML names,
but not the first character. I don't see anything in the SDO C++ spec
that describes the character set that forms property names in SDO
other than by implication through its discussion of XPath. There is a
danger here that looking in a spec for something that maybe excluded
is always problematic.

Are you suggesting that the "-" character should not appear in
property names? One view would be to rule it out because it causes
particular problems in PHP scripts. However that approach presents
problems for people what to use existing schema. While the object->my-
property syntax won't work you could expect the object['my-property']
or object->{'my-property'} to work.

Regards

Simon