On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 16:50 +0000, Caroline Maynard wrote:
> Paul Scott wrote:
> Paul, not sure where you're coming from here - I think this really
> should work. There's no issue from the PHP point of view; this stuff is
> documented under the "Variable variables" section of the manual
> (http://php.net/manual/en/language.variables.variable.php), and the syntax
>
>     $my_object->{'weird-characters-here'} = "some text";
>
> is perfectly respectable. And Simon has pointed us at the relevant

I think that the spirit of my original post has kind of been lost now.
All that I am saying is that just because it *can* be done, does not
necessarily mean that it *should* be done.

At best, OP's case is a fringe case, and *probably* will cause more harm
than good in his application further down the line. If those cases are
not allowed (like Tuscanny) then, it is easier for OP to change one
variable now, than have a huge broken debugging nightmare later on. I
drew the example of SQL99 standards as I am well aware of the alarming
rate at which junior developers name date fields `date` in MySQL for
instance - perfectly legal according to MySQL, but a recipe for disaster
later on.

--Paul