On 16 Nov, 18:07, Paul Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 16:50 +0000, Caroline Maynard wrote:
> > Paul Scott wrote:
> > Paul, not sure where you're coming from here - I think this really
> > should work. There's no issue from the PHP point of view; this stuff is
> > documented under the "Variable variables" section of the manual
> > (http://php.net/manual/en/language.variables.variable.php), and the syntax
>
> >     $my_object->{'weird-characters-here'} = "some text";
>
> > is perfectly respectable. And Simon has pointed us at the relevant
>
> I think that the spirit of my original post has kind of been lost now.
> All that I am saying is that just because it *can* be done, does not
> necessarily mean that it *should* be done.
>
> At best, OP's case is a fringe case, and *probably* will cause more harm
> than good in his application further down the line. If those cases are
> not allowed (like Tuscanny) then, it is easier for OP to change one
> variable now, than have a huge broken debugging nightmare later on. I
> drew the example of SQL99 standards as I am well aware of the alarming
> rate at which junior developers name date fields `date` in MySQL for
> instance - perfectly legal according to MySQL, but a recipe for disaster
> later on.
>
> --Paul
>
> All Email originating from UWC is covered by
> disclaimerhttp://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/public/portal_services/disclaimer.htm
I do see what you're saying Paul and we do have to be careful in cases
like these. I think if we were stepping outside of the various
specifications we would be on very dodgy ground. It's a balance
between supporting the schema that people already have (they most
likely use our technology if they have to change their schema to use
it) and not making it too easy for people to store up problems for
themselves as you say. Now we have a bug report for this I'll raise
one in Tuscany and see what the SDO community say. They may come back
with the same concerns that you have.

Regards