There are few cases where simple TALES (expressions like "foo/bar/baz") isn't working well, most often comparison of selected <option>, PHPTAL's pythonified/xmlized PHP syntax has gotchas and it's confusing to jump between the two.

I think in that case best solution would be to make TALES more powerful, but I wonder how much powerful? Should I add math expressions? String concatenation? Should I allow passing of function arguments? What the syntax should be like?

foo/bar EQ baz/quz

foo/bar + baz/quz

Should modifiers work inside TALES?

How do you mark end of modifier's content?

foo/bar + php:foo()

php:foo() + bar/baz