After looking at the wiki page examples, couldn't we solve this with specialized tales modifiers?

<option tal:repeat="opt options" tal:attributes="selected equals: opt, selected_option"/>

It's a bit more verbose but they are quite declarative and should be easy to implement in the current PHPTAL infrastructure.

/imv