Marcus,

Probably the best resource for JavaFX today is Jim Weaver's blog:
http://learnjavafx.typepad.com/

The Preview 1 SDK is pretty solid and can be used to build cool demos,
but there are enough things that will change in the final 1.0 SDK
release that you won't want to do anything you are not comfortable
rewriting.

Tell me how things go, and I'll be happy to answer questions or lend a hand.

I'm also interested in how your presentation prep goes.  I've been
tossing around the idea of submitting a proposal for a JavaOne session
on Piccolo2D myself.

Cheers,
--Steve