Update:

As a test I built piccolo, piccolox, and piccolo features with nant
and mono on win xp and everything seems to work (with zero code changes
(!)).  So now I'll start working on the nant build for everything.  I
also plan to test on Ubuntu.

I have a some questions though:

1) should we keep the visual studio solution and project files?  They
seem to be VS 2003 or VS 2005 and VS 2008 will convert them to VS 2008
(which I have) format making them unusable to previous versions.  I
think it's an unnecessary burden to be tied to 'the latest and
greatest' VS.  Besides maintaining a nant build and an IDE build is
extra work.

2) I don't plan on supporting the Direct3D stuff, I'm okay with
dropping support for that.

-Mark