Hi Thorsten,

in addition to what Henrik wrote:

> So dividing a database in several smaller files and accessing them with
> something like id or ext gives a distributed faster database, and when doing

Dividing the database into multiple files is the "normal" approach to
design a DB application in PicoLisp, so this is not what I would call
"distributed".

Distribution involves separate machines, connected via TCP. On each
machine, typically several PicoLisp database processes are running, and
they exchange objects via 'id' or 'ext', but - more importantly - can do
remote calls (via 'pr', 'rd' etc., i.e. the PLIO protocol mentioned in
the other mail) and remote queries (see "doc/refR.html#remote/2").

Direct remote DB operations involve only read accesses (queries).
Changes to the individual DBs have to be done the normal way (e.g. the
'put>' family of methods), where each application (PicoLisp process
family) is maintaining its own DB.

Hmm, that's all rather hard to explain, and unfortunately not formally
documented yet (except for Henrik's great descriptions).

> so ie in an Amazon EC2 account the database might (automagically) end up on
> different servers, thus becoming faster and (almost endlessly) scalable.

Yes, though the current system doesn't have any mechanisms for
dynamically relocation of database processes yet. Actually, I was
planning for something along that way, but the project where I would
have needed that was terminated :(

> Is anybody using Emacs/Gnus for this mailing list and can give some advice
> how to make that work?

Yes, our Argentinian frieds. By now, they should be up ;-)