Hi Jon,
in my last post I forgot to mention the following with respect to R and
UNIX-alikes:
"R can be built as a shared library1 if configured with ‘--enable-R-shlib’.
This shared
library can be used to run R from alternative front-end programs."
(from http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.pdf)
Thorsten