Hi.

I'm Damir and for the last three days I've clicked & read through what I think are all links available at picolisp.com site. :)

Found it entirely by accident (via HN Ticker post) and been thoroughly amazed of what it can do. Even played the rc3D flight game for a while... The biggest pull-down-my-socks was when I read about integrated DB and it's connection to GUI. It blew my mind - let me explain.

I do Rails for living plus a bit of BSD & Linux server admin from time to time and if you know even a little bit about Rails, you'll understand my point of view w/o problem. It's the 95% of what you *don't* need to to with PicoLisp that's so great-sounding - ORM and glue in between.

Rails is great. I love it. What bothers me is RAM usage and amount of coding I have to do to connect scaffolded model to view. For long I've been searching for alternatives with little to no solutions.

There's Smalltalk with Seaside[0], Aida[1] and Iliad[2], all great for web dev, order of magnitute better then Rails, but like I said before I really don't like having 100's megs of RAM used just to serve web pages.

Also, running GUI Smalltalk on server is a bit... well, a drawback, if you will. VNC isn't best suited for real debugging where seconds matter.

Until I found PicoLisp and it's app example.

I dug into docs and while I'm still mostly lost, I managed to get all examples up&running and had great time playing with REPL attached to web app. OK, let me get to my point...

Looking from Rails corner, these are things I miss (or don't know how to get them running the way I'm used to):

1. App changes port number for each session
I use Nginx to proxy request to one or more Thin's (rails app serves) running on high localhost ports (3000, 3001, 3002, ...)

Can something similar be achieved with PicoLisp? Or, even better, how can PicoLisp app be served to the wild of Internet, being accessed via port 80?

2. Backup
With mysql (or any other) I do mysqdump and I'm done. Zipped .sql files are rsynced to remote locations for greater security.

How is backing up PicoLisp databases done in production?

and 3. Is it ready for production use?
Are there any production grade apps running PicoLisp? What are common setups and known issues beginner should expect?

I am sorry if this message reads messed up, it's written in one shot with lot's of questions in my mind - thinking of ways I can use it for my web apps.

Thank you,
Damir