On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 08:00:10 +0100
Alexander Burger <a...@software-lab.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> since Firefox 10 (Windows) is out, some of my customers complain that
> they can't access their PicoLisp applications via SSL any longer. At
> least one also reports the same for Safari.
>
> They can't access even the application's start page. The browser
> refuses to connect.
>
> I've already generated new (self-signed) certificates, but this didn't
> help. Could it be 'httpGate'?
>
> Does anybody have an idea? I can't reproduce the problem here, and the
> browser's error messages are not helpful at all.
>
> The problem might be reproduced also on the demo app
>
>    https://app.7fach.de
>
> or also on the Wiki
>
>    https://wiki.picolisp.com
>
> though the latter is not covered by the certificate's Common Name (as
> it is for "*.7fach.de").
>
> Why does this happen only with new browsers? I suspect something might
> be wrong with 'httpGate', though it worked during the last 10 years
> without problems.
>
> Cheers,
> - Alex

I have checked both with FF10 and chromium and could see a problem in
both. In FF, it got an unhelpful "connection reset" error, while
chromium had me skipping the certificate twice before it worked. It all
points to a protocol error, either the browsers are now doing something
nonstandard or you cut some corner (or relied on something nonstandard
clients used to do) when you implemented the proxy originally and they
came back to haunt you.
Perhaps there is a light reverse proxy like tinyproxy or something like
that you could put in front of httpgate to temporarily solve the
problem by now?

Cheers,
José