On further examination I have decided that websockets are overkill for
my purpose, it seems that XHR v2 is a better fit for file uploads.

Here is an example:
https://github.com/Integralist/XHR2-Multiple-File-Upload--with-PHP-

That code makes me believe that I will be able to accomplish a
progressbar without having to change my current PL web server code at
all.

To be continued after I actually try it...