Joe Bogner <joebog...@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Joe,

> I tried it and it works great - just as expected. It works very well
> on my phone too which had some trouble with the terminal program
> switching in and out of vi mode due to the poor handling of Esc. I
> will definitely be using this

Thanks for the feedback, good to know that it works for others too. In
some cases there is surprising behaviour (like 'eating' the last char of
the line after a navigation command), but thats easily changed. Please
report, if you encounter 'not emacs-like' behaviour, I reused many of
the vi-functions, and sometimes the semantics of the same command are a
bit different in vi and emacs.

> I have spent the last year learning emacs and what I've found is (my
> personal experience, not a flame war) that emacs can be more efficient
> and natural when creating new content - either code or text. Vim is
> more efficient for me when changing large amounts of code or
> refactoring. That may come with time in emacs.

I think both vi and emacs users are in the top 5pc of efficient computer
users, so no real reason to worry if one is slightly better than the
other in occasions. But since the concepts are so different, I would not
want to change frequently between thinking in vi and thinking in emacs,
so I did not even touch vi (and won't do so ;)

did you know that:

,-------------------------------------------------------------------------
| C-c v runs the command view-buffer, which is an interactive compiled
| Lisp function in `view.el'.
|
| It is bound to C-c v.
|
| (view-buffer BUFFER &optional EXIT-ACTION)
|
| View BUFFER in View mode, returning to previous buffer when done.
| Emacs commands editing the buffer contents are not available; instead, a
| special set of commands (mostly letters and punctuation) are defined for
| moving around in the buffer.
| Space scrolls forward, Delete scrolls backward.
| For a list of all View commands, type H or h while viewing.

I dired, you just type v instead of f on a file to open it in view mode.
That nice if you want (vi-like ?) read-only navigation without messing
up your sources accidentally. Just type e to make the buffer editable
again, or q to delete the buffer.

--
cheers,
Thorsten