Hi Luis,

thanks for your long mail!

In addition to what Henrik said:

> I keep reading that execution speed is not very important.  Well, it

Yes and no. The execution speed of your primary development language is
not important if you can write the few (if any) time-critical parts of
your program in a lower-level language, or use an appropriate library.

> what is the magnitude of slowness that I can expect from PicoLisp
> compared to C++? 20x?

Yes, more or less. In some parts PicoLisp might even be faster, if it
has built-in functionality for the intended operation (due to more
efficient internal representations and a smaller memory footprint, i.e.
cache hits), but in the worst case it might be 20x or more.

> by a factor of ten, can I expect the time to increase less than, 10x
> or more than 10 times the previous?

I would suggest to make experiments.

> and MySQL to handle my data.  In MySQL, there are tables with +10
> million rows, others with +10^4 only.  The idea to have an integrated
> database is excellent, but at what speed? How much slower than those
> two databases?  Can the fields be indexed somehow?

Yes. An important feature of the database is that you have access to all
layers, from the lowest (bare symbols) to the highest (entity objects
and relation daemons). So it is in your hands to optimize it for your
purpose.

> input and output?  Can I learn from examples given in PicoLisp
> documentation, or is it needed some CS degree to be able to decipher
> the process?

Not at all. If the examples are not sufficient, ask here or in the
PicoLisp IRC channel.

> In C, C++, I can access data structures via pointers for great speed.
> I guess I can achieve the same in PicoLisp somehow, is is right so?

Yes. Internally, *all* data in PicoLisp are pointers (though there are
no pointer-arithmetics). Again, it is in your hands to handle these
efficiently.

> programmable to force some variables to only accept values of some
> type.  With lint?

'lint' does a static, heuristic investigation of your code. Due to the
dynamic nature of PicoLisp, its power is limited, it cannot check for
runtime types.

For variables to accept only certain values (at runtime), take a look at
e.g. 'assert'.

> If you got down here, thank you for reading my long message.

Welcome! :)