Yes, simul.l. I need to sleep!

I'll also investigate HTML idiosyncrasies more this week. It cannot be
ignored in today's world.

But, to do a desktop app, has SDL2, or the older SDL lib been wrapped for
picoLisp, or is there an advantage of handling this natively with picoLisp?

Any information or comparisons you might have on how picoLisp handles many
distributed processes like Erlang on the BEAM VM with OTP? For what I do,
LFE (Lisp Flavored Erlang) is overkill, but a Lisp nonetheless! I study
small GP (Genetic Programming) and TWEANN (Topology and Weight Evolving
Neural Networks) in Lisp or LFE.

OT, I love concise programming languages like picoLisp, and J, which odds
very concise too. Different languages, but many aspects on common.

Thanks,

Rob
On Apr 18, 2016 03:20, "Alexander Burger" <a...@software-lab.de> wrote:

Hi Rob,

> When I look at lib sim.l for instance, it has a genetic algorithm snippet,
> and some other related, or not-related functions. What is the origin or
> specific use case for sim.l?

You mean @lib/simul.l, right? It is for general simulation purposes. The
genetic algorithm 'gen' was used initially in a research project at
Hokkaido University. 'game' implements an alpha-beta game tree search
and is used for example in some games in the PicoLisp distribution's
"games/" directory, together with 'grid' for 2-dimensional structures.
And all are used heavily in many task in rosettacode.org.

> Game frameworks always have keyboard input for movement (WASD keys,
arrows,
> space, etc... think Asteroids).

Sure, that's why I brought up the issue. It is not a serious problem, we
just need to decide how (that means: where) the keyboard focus should be
handled.

> I'll try running some stress tests with the way canvas is now with
picoLisp
> to see if it can stay at 24 to 30 fps with lots going on. I am busy the
> next few days, so I'll get back to you when I can. I would love to stay on
> this even after the Spring LGJ to bring gaming to picoLisp!

Cool!

> Distribution for the any game jam, the simpler the better. That's why I
> started looking back to the HTML stuff again. Easy to distribute and plays
> on anything with a browser. I am still not sure how picoLisp could work
> here.

Yes, it is convenient and easy to use, but the drawback is in many cases
the network bandwidth. It depends also largely on the game itself.