On 2007-01-03 00:39+0100 Werner Smekal wrote:

> Alan, where should I put this script in the repository? Is the script
> directory alright?

Yes.

> I post tomorrow my MinGW package (I can't provide Visual C++, since I
> have only Visual C++ 2005), how I made it and I'll also post my 3rd
> party libraries package, which allows to compile 6 libraries with one
> command.

After the windows users on this list have evaluated your packages you will
want to release them at SourceForge (and also announce those releases at
SourceForge, plplot-devel and plplot-general just like Hazen does for our
PLplot source releases.)

Werner, you and Arjen are de facto the release managers for all the
windows-related packages so here are my comments/suggestions on this new
role for you.

I suggest you put your procedures for preparing your releases as Section 4
(preparation of third-party windows library packages) and Section 5
(preparation of PLplot windows packages) of README.Release_Manager_Cookbook.

At this point you may want to consult README.Release_Manager_Cookbook to see
what it specifically says about file releases at SourceForge. The package
name should continue to be "plplot", but I have some suggestions for the
names of your releases.  (Note, the release name is a short descriptive name
that appears at our file release area at SourceForge and is completely
independent of the file name that you decide to use for your release.) We
traditionally name our PLplot source releases as "5.x.x Source" to
distinguish from rpm binary and rpm source releases we have made in the
past. This tradition was not followed for 5.7.1 and 5.7.0.  Nevertheless,
Hazen, I suggest you name the planned January source release "5.7.2 Source"
to be consistent with the tradition and also to distinguish it from Werner
and Arjen's binary releases.

Werner and Arjen, you might want to call your 3rd-party release something like

1.0.0-RC1 Third-party library Source
1.0.0-RC1 Third-party library MinGW binary
1.0.0-RC1 Third-party library Visual C++ binary

and your PLplot binary releases

5.7.2 MinGW binary
5.7.2 Visual C++ binary

With regard to your 3rd-party packages, I have assumed you want to make one
or more release candidates (RC1, RC2, etc.) for everybody to try before you
finalize 1.0.0. Also, I have assumed that your third-party packages should
have a numbering scheme that differs from the PLplot one since there should
be a different (hopefully less) rate of version churn for the third-party
packages than for PLplot itself.  In particular, you can be completely
independent about when you release the third party packages, but your 5.x.x
binary releases should be generated from Hazen's source release tarball with
the same (PLplot) version number so must appear after he has made his source
release.

With regard to all your file releases at SF, I think it is important that
you provide an armored ascii signature file using gpg facilities (like Hazen
does for his source releases). (A google search revealed
http://www.glump.net/dokuwiki/gpg/gpg_intro as a possible set of directions
for installing gpg on windows.) The detached GPG signature file for our
releases identifies you as responsible for these files.  That is
fundamentally important from a security perspective since it assures careful
users they have downloaded a clean copy which is exactly the same as the one
you (and only you) uploaded to SourceForge.

Finally, I would like to publicly thank our release managers, Werner, Arjen,
and Hazen in advance for making their planned file releases at SourceForge.
Those releases are fundamentally important not only for quickly propagating
our latest PLplot development efforts to large numbers of users, but also as
a source of good publicity for PLplot.

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project