On 2008-08-07 21:36-0700 Jerry wrote:

> I don't know if I can be any help here. I just now browsed the
> comp.lang.ada archives and was reminded that sometimes good things
> happen if -fstack-check is enabled at the gnatmake compile line.
> OTOH, it seems that at some point in time the code generated with
> that option on was buggy. So if you have it on, try removing the
> option. I'm grasping at straws here.

In my case, I do not have the -fstack-check option turned on.

> As for the compiler warnings that are generated by Ada example 19
> (and by the bindings), in theory they are innocuous. The reason for
> them is that the callback in that program is written in Ada but
> called by C, probably several levels down. There are two things that
> have to happen: It has to have C calling conventions (lines 46 and 47
> take care of that) and the argument list has to match the template
> that C is expecting. That is handled by including the size of the
> arrays x and y in the argument list, and passing x and y as "open" or
> "unconstrained" arrays. The compiler apparently sees the
> unconstrained arrays being passed to a potential C caller and warns
> that the caller must pass the array bounds because the array is not
> carrying them.

That certainly sounds like an innocuous warning message.

Jerry, I think the best way to deal with this issure is for you to find some
way to reproduce it.  I think your best bet for reproducing this bug is for
you to attempt a ctest on a 64-bit Linux box. Could you arrange temporary
access to such a box (say through your local Linux User's Group (LUG) or
University?  64-bit Linux boxes are really cheap these days so there are a
lot of them around if you have contact with the right people.

The alternative of trying to debug at one remove through those (like me and
probably like Orion as well) who have very little clue about Ada would be
pretty painful.  However, if all else fails I do have some experience with
gdb debugging of Fortran or C executables so if you could teach me how to
set up a gdb session for Ada example 19, and you set up the same debugging
session on your own (32-bit?) Mac OS X computer, we could do some detailed
comparisons to see what is going wrong for my platform.  But it is going to
take lots of patience and a fair number of e-mail exchanges so the preferred
alternative for debugging this issue would be for you to get access to a
Linux 64-bit box yourself.