On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 03:45:39PM -0700, Alan Irwin wrote:
> On 2008-08-11 19:59-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>
> > On 2008-08-11 14:43-0600 Orion Poplawski wrote:
> >
> >> Wishlist: a verbose testing option that
> >> would output the actual command executed for each test.
>
> I have implemented a proof of concept of this idea (revision 8636) for our C
> examples.  Please try it out and let me know what you think.
>
> Andrew, as a major user of the ctest command, I especially ask you to have a
> look at how I did this (since I am no scripting expert) and the results for
> ctest --verbose.  Please feel free to change any part of my implementation.
> If you like what you now see for the C examples (and nobody else objects to
> how much output there is now with the ctest --verbose command), I will
> propagate the idea to the rest of the test_*.sh.in scripts except for the
> octave one.

Alan,

In principal I like the idea of being able to see the examples as they
are exectuted. I wonder whether the whole command line is necessary
though. Perhaps just echoing the example name would suffice and would
prevent too much unnecessary clutter in the output? For testing purposes
this is what is required. For a given test you know what the driver is
and what the output files will be. I find looking through
Testing/Temporary/LastTest.log useful and all this extra information
could make it more difficult to find useful error messages.

> For test_octave.sh.in I will rely on you for that needed propagation since
> octave expertise is required to read in the verbose_test environment
> variable into octave and echo the commands to generate the various "p" and
> "x" octave examples.
>
> Alternatively, it might be a good idea to reduce test_octave.sh.in as much
> as possible to the form of the other test scripts so, e.g., the looping
> through the various examples is done in the shell rather than in octave.
> Obviously, there will be a bit more latency with that approach, but
> hopefully it would not be noticeable, and I think it would be valuable to
> remove some of the mystery from test_octave.sh.in by doing as much as
> possible in the shell.  Note, I committed the original version of
> test_octave.sh, but that was under heavy instruction from our octave expert
> at that time, Jaoa Cardoso, and I will be the first to admit I had no clue
> what I was doing. :-) So I think a complete rewrite of test_octave.sh.in by
> our current octave expert (you) would be a good idea.

I am inclined to stay with the current single instance of octave. The
overhead of starting octave ~40 times is not insignificant. Once we
agree on a format I can add the necessary octave code.

Andrew