On 2008-09-30 10:07+0100 Steve Schwartz wrote:

> Taking this as a hint, I can edit the -dev svg to get it to open in
> inkscape and konqueror by deleting the leading <document> tag (and it's
> close at the end of the file).

Hi Steve:

I fixed that bug last week when I started my svg effort.  So I am very
interested in your experiments, but please use the latest version of PLplot
from svn trunk to access all the svg bug fixes I have been making.  I know
you have used svn trunk before so I suspect that you just forgot to do an
svn update or else you did not rebuild starting from an empty build tree.

That update/rebuild may cure most of the problems you have encountered, but
I am very interested in any that persist after that update for example 1.
For example, that update will not cure the ImageMagick/librsvg X offset
issues I commented on already.  I am virtually positive that is a librsvg
bug so I plan to make a really simple case, validate it at
http://validator.w3.org (to make absolutely sure it is compliant with the
svg standard), and send in a bug report to librsvg with screenshots of what
you get with librsvg versus other standards compliant viewers.  Hopefully,
that will get some action.  I should mention that figure 1 looks perfect
here for firefox.  For konqueror everything is fine for Figure 1 except for
the circles used to mark points which it replaces by question marks because
its ability to find non-standard glyphs amongst the system fonts is so poor.
As I mentioned, I will be sending in a konqueror bug report on that issue.

You mentioned you liked svg.  I like it too because it produces such
good-looking results (for good viewers like firefox, konqueror, and
hopefully for imagemagic/librsvg soon), and it has the capability of being
scaled without getting the artifacts associated with bitmap scaling. On top
of that its xml output is really straightforward to understand; that was a
big help in sorting out a number of the svg issues that I mentioned, and I
am going to rely on being able to humanly parse the results to help me sort
out the additional minor xml tag issues I will be working on today (for some
figures, but not figure 1.) I have just checked specifically that figure 1
validates so every viewer that is svg 1.1 standards compliant and which has
proper access to fonts should render it the same way, i.e., like firefox.