On Mon, 17 May 2010, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> Comcast just raised my rates. The increase is trivial, but far more
> annoying is that the service is decreasing. Six months ago
> speedtest.net reported a high of 3 MB/s. Now it is just over 2 MB/s.
> The new rate is 55.59/month, which includes 11.49 for basic TV.
>
> When I say "2 MB/s" I mean megabytes per second. That is, assuming the
> server can feed me as fast as Comcast will let me download it, I can
> download a full 700 MB Ubuntu live CD in about six minutes.
>
> I do not have wired home telephone service; that is, I discontinued the
> land telephone a couple years ago since I never use anything but my
> cell. I'm not very popular, so no one ever calls me anyway.
>
> Googling around leads me to a confusing bunch of options for DSL. I'd
> pay more for faster speeds. Are there any options that are faster than
> the 2 MB/s that Comcast is now giving me?

It really depends on where you live. Are you in Qwestland or Verison
territory?

Depending on where you live you may be able to get DSL/Fiber with faster
speeds. I have been told it is possible to get just DSL without land line,
but I think it depends on the carrier.

Speeds vary due to location and carrier. Look on their web site and it
will tell you what speeds are available for your address.

--
Truth is stranger than fiction because fiction has to make sense.