This is encouraging.  Thanks for the idea.

The (only) instructions that came with the machine were on how to register
the windows 10.  Also, the COA has a "silver" patch over a portion of the
number, with instructions to gently scrape the silver off to expose the
full number.  This, to me, implies  that it has not been registered.  Do
you agree?

-Denis