When you said UEFI is disabled as well, did you mean Secure Boot is
disabled?  Or do you mean UEFI is disabled, because legacy boot is enabled?

On Aug 10, 2017 2:19 PM, "Bill Barry" <b...@billbarry.org> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 2:40 PM, Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I just purchased a new desktop machine.  It has Windows 10 pro, not yet
> activated.  After installing Ubuntu I would like to be able to run this
> Windows as a guest in VB.  My searching tells me that this can be a bit
> tricky.  I am not in any hurry to migrate.  I first want to make sure I do
> not do anything which will cut off this possibility.  Do I need to backup
> something from the machine before I install Linux, or can I just use the
> COA sticker to get what I need from Microsoft after I have wiped the HD,
> installed Ubuntu and VB?  I have no reason to run Win 10 (except as a
> guest) on the machine other than to initially ensure myself that the
> machine is functioning properly.
>
> Thanks,
> -Denis
> ___

I have used the instructions here
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows  to migrate Windows XP to
Virtualbox, but have not tried it with WIndows 10.  In summary you boot
into windows and run a script which does some registry magic that makes
your Disk drivers look very generic. Then you shut down, DD the image,
convert it the DD'd image to a virtualbox image and boot it.  It sounds
easy, but it's Windows and every step is fraught with peril.  You should
also boot into Windows and create a Recovery Drive before you do anything
else.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026852/windows-
create-a-recovery-drive
After you have a Recovery Drive you might want to shrink your WIndows
installation. I have done this before with a live linux and GPARTED, but
Windows has a native way of doing this now which sounds like a better idea
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-
partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/

Good luck,
Bill Barry