(responding from my gmail account now)

So sure, there are technical nuances that are the underlying cause of this
behavior. However, the whole point of a computer is consistent execution of
a given policy. Regardless of protonmail's stance on this there are a
number of problems with the way they have communicated it, expectations
they have set, and even the technical side itself is in question.

Mailing lists are a fact of how email is used. By configuring your server
in a way that causes this situation you are effectively disabling support
for things like Linux Kernel development (they work through the LKML).
Saying that your Secure Email Service can't be used to assist in the
development of one of the world's biggest Secure Operating Systems hardly
seems like a reasonable business strategy. I'm not a dev or engineer, but I
am an expert in Support and this is something that companies need to stop
doing. I'm going through their support docs and have yet to find anything
stating what I was just told. No FAQ's referencing this or any other
warnings that this is not supported.

There is also the double standard that the UI literally knows how to
differentiate normal emails from list emails by displaying a message that
says "This message is from a mailing list". Ths implies that protonmail
does in fact support interop with mailman, despite their support team's
claim that they do not. Their website (https://proton.me/mail) also
suggests that mailing lists can be used with their service. So why am I now
being told that they don't support it?

I pay protonmail SPECIFICALLY for the honesty and support that comes with
being a paying customer. I don't complain too harshly about the dumb shit
gmail does because it costs me $0 to have gmail. If you don't like what
google does - LEAVE. Not only am I considering cancelling my subscription,
but I have half a mind to reach out to a lawyer and see if this can be
considered false advertising. I really don't care who is to blame for this
shit, because upper managers at tech companies need to learn how to keep
their entire organization synchronized.

Selling access to a web service isn't just about how it works. It's about
setting expectations and building trust. And in this case, a bunch of
scientists from CERN just abused my trust and I can either challenge them
on a field of facts... or I can "lie back and take it". Since PLUG has
several other protonmail users, I suggest they contact support and ask
what's up.
-Ben