On Sat, Jan 21, 2023 at 12:12 AM Keith Lofstrom <kei...@kl-ic.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 02:58:15PM -0800, Ben Koenig wrote:
> > Well, it appears that Proton has made their decision and are blaming PLUG
> > for this issue.
>
> > > Yes, that's correct. Proton Mail does not allow third-party services to
> > send messages on our behalf.
>
> It's their party, they can cry if they want to.  Protonmail
> is useful as a privacy-protecting email service, but is not
> useful as a general purpose tool.
>
> Perhaps we should explore alternatives to Protonmail that are
> (1) zealously protective of privacy, and (2) compatible with
> mailing lists like plug, and (3) incompatible with masquerade
> by spammers ... which I suspect motivates Protonmail's policy.
>
> From the 10,000 foot level, email seems to be broken, diluted
> by spam and abused by criminals, so perhaps we should find
> (or invent and sell) better baskets to put our precious
> communication eggs in.  No clue how; I run my own email
> server, and spend way too much time training spam filters.
>
> Keith
>
> --
> Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com

So I take issue with that approach. Not saying anyone has to change but
there's a problem that everyone says they want to fix, but never actually
does when the opportunity presents itself..

Protonmail is zealously protective at privacy, that's where it excels. The
problem is that their implementation creates ambiguity and fails to take
into consideration how email is actually used. My core problem is that if
they communicated this effectively then it would be a decision on their
end. Sales/Marketing tells me one thing, Support tells me something else.
If anything they are literally over-zealous, to the point of embarking on
an Inquisition to execute bad emails.

Now most people in this situation would say "meh, moving on to someone
else's product." But for me there's more to it. Forgive me for bringing
politics in, but political systems are nothing more than a management
system that reflects the cultures and societies that they manage. And right
now much of the "developed" world is having a bit of a problem with things
like facts, trust, and basic honesty. I mean, nobody here thinks Bill Gates
is a good person, but we've all heard the conspiracy theories, right?

It is easy to go and have an opinion here, but it's very different to
actually root cause where the confusion and anger comes from. When
companies (which are just big groups of people) get into a habit of
misleading and in some cases, intentionally lying it creates problems for
trust and throws off communication. We had an example of that here on PLUG
not long ago. The discussion regarding censorship via Cloudflare was rooted
in fear and concern. This invited someone attempting to correct the record,
and honestly neither of them were wrong. But we all know there are issues
with censorship, whether it be the result of malicious activity, technical
failure, or even the fact that someone can, if they felt the urge to cut
someone off.

I mean right now, Protonmail is silently dropping their own users' emails.
And what makes this so strange to me is that they have the technical
infrastructure to A) determine that an email might be spoofed and B) notify
the user. This is good, make identity verification something that I (the
User) am in full control of. Instead they are deciding that in the case of
other Proton users, drop the message, tell the recipient nothing, and move
on. A potentially legit message disappearing without a trace. No warning,
no FAQ, and no marketing material that tells me such a thing may happen?
That's sketchy, super fucking sketchy.

Email isn't broken, people are. Even those of us who claim to have
knowledge in this area have been known to do things incorrectly. Running
from one vendor to the next isn't going to change anything -  You just keep
running.
-Ben