I still had Spotty 2.1.1 running and first tested with that. Both
Connect targets are SB Touch, both were turned on beforehand, not
playing anything. Used the Spotify app on my phone to Connect to one
touch, played fine, then switched to the other Touch. The first stopped
playback (but kept it's position) and the second one started playing
from the time when I switched. Did this a couple of times without
problems.

Now that gave me hope to find out what was wrong with volume. Alas: nothing even remotely related to volume has changed since then. Pausing has changed, daemon handling did. And Windows support did. But nothing even remotely related to volume did. I guess you won't be able to return to 2.1.1 easily to double-check?

Michael