Not sure actually if what you're saying here is that it could be
possible in MaterialSkin but not in default (which would be fine with
me), or possible in both, only by different means.

No, the other way around would be easier. The LMS web templating system has a means to add links which would be opened in a new browser tab. But the SlimBrowse mechanism Material is using does not.

That said, Craig has some method to add custom links to Material. I'm not familiar with this, but it might be worth asking him about it:

https://github.com/CDrummond/lms-material#custom-menu-entries

Anyway : wouldn't it be possible to insert a < a href... just like we
see for the download link on the file path line ("Location:") ? (but
again, I see this link is -not- included in MaterialSkin...)

No, that's not easily possible. SlimBrowse was created for the Controller/Touch/Radio where there's no web browser.

--

Michael