OK Sam, because I tried every suggestion we/you have talked about, the
answer to every of your questions below is, “yes”. That’s why I’ll have
to clarify each variation. So...

SamY wrote:
> Let me make sure I understand what is happening though. I see the AVR
> settings in your previous post. Did you change the setting in
> Player->Audio->Volume Control to "Output level is fixed at 100%"[…]
Yes. That setting is unworkable for me. As I wrote:
(1)“and I tried to switch to fixed on the client, but that is not
workable for one major reason; one cannot use a browser for playback on
a smartphone.” To clarify, this setting disables the volume bar, and
browsers have no access to the hardware buttons; hence, no ability to
change volume. I tried this on two different phones.

SamY wrote:
> … or did you actually change the volume in the client to 100?
Yes. After switching back to Variable output on the player I (and that
was not well thought through, to say the least) set the volume to 100%.
It was to simulate the ‘fixed at 100%’ setting. I also set the ‘Power on
Volume’ on the AVR to -54dB as that produced nicely low volume for
background listening to start with.

SamY wrote:
> I ask because they are two different things. Having "Output level is
> fixed at 100%" checked in the Player settings does not in itself cause a
> volume level of 100 to be set for the client. The 100% refers to the
> hardware volume, not the LMS volume.
All true.

SamY wrote:
> The menu option should be changed to "Output level is fixed". Period.
I disagree as per (1). Getting one of the pre-amps out of the way had
some nice benefits, but the inability to control volume from a browser
makes them all moot.

SamY wrote:
> That might eliminate some of the confusion. The client volume setting is
> (or should be) still controlled by the client app's volume control,
> although I have seen at least one app that detects the "fixed at 100%"
> player setting and overrides its own volume control with a value of 100,
> wreaking similar havoc on downstream code. In my case, I have my output
> level fixed at 100% but the client volume reported to the plugin by both
> the LMS client app and the Android Squeezer app reflects what I have set
> the volume to in the respective apps and everything works smoothly.
The inconsistency of behavior on different phones makes this a tricky
thing to code around, no two ways about it.

SamY wrote:
> > MarSOnEarth wrote:
> > It does, and you are right about the possible interactions…> >
I was referring to your comment about multiple pre-amps in the path,
i.e.  [client, if any]->LMS->player->AVR

SamY wrote:
> > MarSOnEarth wrote:
> > …”, and I tried to switch to fixed on the client, but that is not
> > workable for one major reason; one cannot use a browser for playback on
> > a smartphone.> >
> I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you explain further?”
I hope the clarification in (1) does it, yes?

SamY wrote:
> By the way, I think we both at least have an understanding of what is
> happening in your system now, if not exactly why. ;-)
A step at a time, and I thank you for your time spent on this. I’m not
at home now, so I’ll test the new version later. Earlier in the day I
did run a sequence of tests for which a log, and the associated settings
are included. BTW, the player output is set (and for me it will have to
stay that way) to ‘Variable’ output.

Good luck.

|Filename: 210323_12-server.log                                     |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33897|