> Just a couple of points;
> - do I still need to install the WaveInput plugin to SqueezeCenter?

No - WaveInput is only required on the PC whose soundcard audio is to
be sent to a SB.  Using VLC streams PC audio just like a radio station
and can be played on any player (e.g. winamp, iTunes) not just a SB.
However VLC is recompressing an audio stream so there will probably be
loss in quality.  The above has a setting of 128kbits - you change this
to say 320. If quality is still an issue there are other options.

> - do I run the batch file every time I want to send sound to SC?

Yes & No. The batch files starts VLC.  VLC has to be running whenever
you want the sound to be sent  but SB does not have to play the stream.
Also you can stop & start the stream using the VLC control panel
without stopping VLC.

--
bpa