ukslim wrote:
> This is called "'the analogue hole'
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_hole)" in any copy protection
> scheme, and it's inevitable. But there are other inevitable holes in
> copy-protection because it has to be in some unprotected state at some
> point between the network and the speaker.
>
> Content-owners put up with the analogue hole because (a) it's inevitable
> and (b) at least there's some small loss of quality each time it's used.
> Oh, and it has an effective speed limit. Content-owners put up with
> non-analogue holes as long as exploiting them is enough hassle to
> prevent copying getting *too* rife. For example, if you're determined,
> you can copy a retail BluRay -- but for most people it's too much of a
> fiddle.
>
> If it weren't for all of this, the BBC could just stream everything as
> MP3 on sensible URLs -- like their podcasts. The reason they don't is
> that many of the places they buy their content from, will not allow it
> to be made available in such an easily rippable way.
>
> Don't shoot the messenger - I'm just trying to communicate the landscape
> the BBC is trying to navigate.
Apologies if my response was a bit blunt.  It wasn't intended to be
critical of the messenger.

I still really don't understand this.  There's no real loss of quality
if people make a digital copy, and it is very easy to do using standard
software.  It just seems that the BBC and their suppliers are just
trying to fool themselves by putting their heads in the sand.

No matter, whatever their reasons for behaving in the way they do we are
still left trying to make stuff work.

LMS 7.9 on VortexBox Midi, Xubuntu 14.04, FLACs 16->24 bit,
44.1->192kbps. LMS & Squeeze2upnp to MF M1 CLiC (to MF amp & ESLs) &
Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.  Minimserver (server) & upplay (control
point) to same renderers & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.  Squeezelite to
Meridian USB Explorer DAC to speakers/phones.  Wireless Xubuntu 14.04
laptop with firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with
Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.   Have a Touch
with EDO, and a spare, but don't use.