rbl wrote:

> I haven't tried PlayHLS and know very little about it - is that worth a
> shot? I don't one to interfere with the other, but I guess that probably
> isn't a problem, as in both can coexist happily?
>
> Ill try proxy streaming, but it says LMS defaults to this when SB3s are
> sync'd, which in my case they are.
>
> Back in March I tried changing the DNS server to Google's - 8.8.8.8 and
> 8.8.4.4. I will try that again....
>
> I have been using Windows 7 64bit, and recetly changed to Windows 10
> 64bit.

Since we have been around this particular block just last June - I
wanted to do a bit more digging rather than repeat the same advice.

The HLS (and similar protocols such as HDS and DASH) send stream audio
as lots of small files about 6 secs in length and unlike "normal" http
streaming, each fragment needs a DNS lookup. LMS is designed to run as a
single process and so it interleaves its own DNS lookups with http
fetches. This is complicated by "live" streams which means there is
usuakly only the "Radio Station buffer" seconds of audio in the player
default is 3 secs. Which means if a DNS lookup is slow or a http fetch
blocks a DNS - some of the audio buffer is used up. After 2,3,4,5...
DNS/HTTP problems as each one uses up some of the buffer eventually
there is no longer any audio left in the player and so you get
rebuffering.

* Changing the DNS server may help.
* With Windows (according to utgg) there is an specific issue where
Windows caches too much and utgg made changes to his LMS code to
minimise the effect.
* Other users have setup a dnsmasq server on PI or similar so that there
is a very local DNS server.

My suggestion is to try the PlayHLS plugin which is used to play Apple
HLS m3u8 streams.  This plugin uses ffmpeg (or avconv)  to process the
HLS streams and send a audio stream into LMS to send to player.  This
means LMS is not dealing with DNS or http.  The plugin can be installed
alongside BBCiPlayer and users just need to create a Favorite with the
appropriate BBC m3u8 URL (found in BBCiPlayer menu.opml file).  The
Plugin has its own thread see
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?103158-Announce-PlayHLS-Plugin-plugin-to-play-Apple-HLS-m3u8-stream
and installation instruction are in post 2 & 3.

If PlayHLS doesn't solve the problem for you - then it can be
uninstalled but then you'll know the problem is probably outside your
inhouse setup.